Thursday, March 1, 2012

“So, that’s what’s up….”


Most girls dream about the same things, getting married, buying a house, having kids. And for many girls that are a little more detailed oriented they even thought of the way they would do all of those things. Even how they would tell their husbands that they were pregnant. Me, not so much. The only vision I had was that of Rebecca Donaldson on Full House telling Uncle Jesse by serving him baby carrots and baby corn to lead him to the conclusion that they were pregnant. I figured when I would tell my husband it would go a little something like that.

However, I had no time to run to the grocery store to set up such a presentation. I took my first test on a complete whim. Jon and I had just completed a diet and I lost 12lbs. Woohoo!! So I thought “There is NO flipping way I would be pregnant. Who the heck loses that much weight while they are pregnant??” Plus the fact that I had absolutely no symptoms except being tired. I chalked that up to the diet and lack of carbs that I usually consume on a daily basis.  On the other hand, that pesky period never came so I figured why not?

I used “First Response.’ For those that have never had the pleasure of using such a device, the way it would indicate if you are pregnant is displaying two pink lines. My first test displayed one bright pink line alright, as the second line was as clear as a Mike Tyson monologue. I decided to take another one the next morning. The same results spread across the window. I had to stop playing games, or perhaps start buying stock in home pregnancy tests. I’d figured a different brand was in order. I purchased a three pack of “Clear blue easy.” The device I made fun of people for buying as it literally was dummy proof, displaying “Pregnant” or “Not Pregnant” across the indicator window. Well, egg on my face as this was the only thing I would use again.

I decided to give it one last college try (now on my fourth attempt) so I ran to the bathroom the moment I stepped in to my house. 3 minutes later and that was it. “PREGNANT.” My plans of a baby corn and baby carrot dinner flew out of my brain. All I could do was walk to the side room where Jon was working and put the device in front of the computer and all I can manage to say was, “So, that’s what’s up.”  His response was as equally sensitive and warming “Soooo, ummm OK, soooo….”(You get the picture).  After our very formal pleasantries we retired to two different rooms until one of us made a move. He was the first to budge. We joked about the app and the ridiculousness of the situation and we started to come to terms with it. We made the usual phone calls to our family to spread the news.

It wasn’t a magical moment that we will tell our kids about someday but it was definitely a very fitting moment for the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment