Friday, April 13, 2012

Centering


Last night was mine and Jon’s first “Centering” session. Centering is basically a class/appointment that happens with our midwife monthly. Instead of going to your appointments alone each month, she has a session with other mother’s that are due the same month. The first class did not go as planned. To say that I had a panic attack is a complete and utter understatement. She takes each woman one by one to do the weigh in (we will get there in a second) and record the babies heartbeat while everyone does very complex worksheets made for 8th grade teen moms. I was the last one to go and was taken behind the curtain to get sprayed down with jelly and probed with a Doppler. After about 5 minutes she couldn’t hear a heartbeat. A little nervous she told me that she has an even bigger Doppler in the maternity ward so we should try that. I grabbed Jon and went to the room to do that next. Again, Jelly spray, Doppler on my tummy and nothing. Tears started to stream down my face. It didn’t make sense, considering that I just felt the baby not even 20 minutes before the appointment. Then they had to bring in an ultrasound machine. I was about to lose my mind at this point. Once they got the monitor up and going you could see our baby’s enormous head and the littlest heart beating. Apparently our baby decided it was an awesome time to start doing some gymnastics as I’m laying there scared to death on a hospital bed.  All in all everything should be fine. However I’m now really looking forward to our Ultrasound next week.

Now that I’m officially a parent on an emotional roller coaster that will not stop until I’m dead. I figured I stick with the theme and list out the 5 low lights as well as the highlights from this past week. Feel free to make the distinction yourself.

  1. I sneezed…again….(if you don’t know what that means then obviously you haven’t been following my blog and you should get on that)
  2. I’ve been feeling the baby moves like crazy this week which has been very exciting and terrifying all at the same time.
  3. I’ve read an entire book, “Belly Laughs” by Jenny McCarthy and realized that it is basically my blog in book form. I think the biggest thing is that I finished an entire book
  4. Meeting all the other mother’s at Centering was nice until I realized that I’m the furthest along out of the entire group and thus will soon be the largest. Yes, that concerns me.
  5. Lastly, freaking about my baby not having a heartbeat was probably the worst moment of my life. Followed by a close second of jumping up on the nurse’s scale to see a number I haven’t seen since college (if you are that curious feel free to take a look at my status page). I told the nurse only half kidding that I’d remove my clothes but she only smiled so I didn’t pursue un-dressing completely. Next time, no jewelry.
If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis 

No comments:

Post a Comment